Feedback on & learnings from our first community roadmap process

As we near the completion of development on our new Editoria features, and look toward testing and release, we would like to reflect on the process and share some of our team’s feedback and learnings in the lead up to the big release.

We went into this with a healthily experimental attitude. We had no idea if the community would want to create feature proposals, and couldn’t be sure of what quality they may be. What we found was that within 2 weeks about 6 publishers, all the most involved users of Editoria to date, submitted 36 proposals between them! The proposals were fascinating, detailed, and clear. The community-authored comments on them, in several cases, helped to further refine them. Then, our development team chose 18 to begin developing.

In addition, we identified a need for Editoria to be updated against the ‘new’ PubSweet tech stack, since it was created off an older version. Wax also needed a substantive upgrade to fix a lot of problems with the libraries it was built on. In response, we added both these issues to the community roadmap and the development queue.

It has been quite a team effort! Alexis Georgantas has been working tirelessly on the rebuild and also on the forthcoming features. Joining him on the development of new features, Giannis Kopanas has hopped the fence from xPub to Editoria, with a special focus on authorization related items. As you know, Christos Kokosias has been working on upgrading Wax in general, and in specific, based on roadmap proposals. Last but never least, Julien Taquet has been working in a refinement of the Paged.js integration with Editoria, and at the same time has been pitching in to customize templates for community members who are imminently exporting real, live books (don’t worry, we won’t unmask you here – yet)!

We thought that all of this work – all of it – would be released this month, March 2019. However, it has taken a little longer than expected as the PubSweet upgrade actually turned out to be a complete rebuild of Editoria (!). Yes, that’s right, we more or less rebuilt the entire application, as well as added the new features. Consequently, we misjudged the timeline, rather than 3 months it took 4. While we would always like to make the deadlines we set, we are betting you’ll understand why this upgrade, which turned into a rebuild, took a little longer than anticipated.

Right now we are finishing everything off and we’ll let you know when you can expect to get a peek at all of this goodness, and we will also upfront about when you can expect your hosted deployments (beta/tryouts) will be upgraded, too.

We plan to open up for new proposals once everything is successfully deployed, so do keep storing up your ideas! We can’t wait for that moment!

Further reading